Mr. Irrelevant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:30 am

Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Graham Banks on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:39 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote:Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

Yes.

Graham Banks

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

Yes.

Thanks, but I think there are more details about him.
Is he a reserve player for a strong team ?

Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  dann corbit on Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:04 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

Yes.

Thanks, but I think there are more details about him.
Is he a reserve player for a strong team ?

Matthias.

The very last person taken in the NFL draft is nicknamed "Mr. Irrelevant". This year, it was a kicker named Ryan Succop. Typically, they do not even make the NFL team (indeed, higher round draft picks also often do not make the team, but the lower you are drafted, the less likely you are to stick). However, once in a great while they even become very good players. This year's Mr. Irrelevant is an example of that:
http://www.nfl.com/players/ryansuccop/careerstats?id=SUC073828
he not only made the team, but he is among the better kickers in the league.

Billy Kenney, a quarterback for the same team as Ryan Succop {the Kansas City Chiefs}, was also a Mr. Irrelevant and he actually made it to the pro bowl, which is reserved for the players who were the very best at their positions during the year.

There is an ironic award given to the last man chosen in the draft (something like a week's vacation in Hawaii, I forget exactly) and they are also given a trophy.

dann corbit

Number of posts : 47
Location : Redmond, WA USA
Registration date : 2008-05-20

View user profile http://cap.connx.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm

dann corbit wrote:
The very last person taken in the NFL draft is nicknamed "Mr. Irrelevant". This year, it was a kicker named Ryan Succop. Typically, they do not even make the NFL team (indeed, higher round draft picks also often do not make the team, but the lower you are drafted, the less likely you are to stick). However, once in a great while they even become very good players. This year's Mr. Irrelevant is an example of that:
http://www.nfl.com/players/ryansuccop/careerstats?id=SUC073828
he not only made the team, but he is among the better kickers in the league.

Billy Kenney, a quarterback for the same team as Ryan Succop {the Kansas City Chiefs}, was also a Mr. Irrelevant and he actually made it to the pro bowl, which is reserved for the players who were the very best at their positions during the year.

There is an ironic award given to the last man chosen in the draft (something like a week's vacation in Hawaii, I forget exactly) and they are also given a trophy.

Thanks, Dann Wink

Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

BigLion 2.23w may become Mr. Irrelevant in this edition of WBEC.
Leo, feel free to throw out BigLion after this edition of WBEC.

Best,
Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Leo Dijksman on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:40 am



Hi Matthias,

Bad idea ofcourse Evil or Very Mad

Best wishes,
Leo
avatar
Leo Dijksman

Number of posts : 454
Age : 64
Location : Stavenisse
Registration date : 2008-05-17

View user profile http://www.wbec-ridderkerk.nl/

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Leo Dijksman wrote:


Hi Matthias,

Bad idea ofcourse Evil or Very Mad

Best wishes,
Leo

OK, then Mr. Irrelevant is important. Smile

Regards,
Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  dann corbit on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:53 am

My own opinion is that discovering the weakest program (that can still play according to the rules with legal moves and not stall, crash, hang, etc.) is just as valuable as the strongest program.

If you want some beginner to get a practice partner, will you give them Rybka or something a little less formidable? A clear winner of "solid but weak" is a great program for a beginner to gain confidence against.

Personally, I like to play against both strong and weak engines from time to time. Golem is one of my favorite weaker engines. I find that it has human-like quirks. Besides, after Rybka has given me my beating, I need a little revenge against the machine.

dann corbit

Number of posts : 47
Location : Redmond, WA USA
Registration date : 2008-05-20

View user profile http://cap.connx.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  dann corbit on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:Is Mr. Irrelevant the guy who is strongest of all weak guys ?

Matthias.

BigLion 2.23w may become Mr. Irrelevant in this edition of WBEC.
Leo, feel free to throw out BigLion after this edition of WBEC.

Best,
Matthias.

No way that Big Lion can win. The Winner of the "Mr. Irrelevant" tournament is the last place engine.
At least, that is the way that I see it.
So probably Chad's Chess or Dreamer will come off champion here.

dann corbit

Number of posts : 47
Location : Redmond, WA USA
Registration date : 2008-05-20

View user profile http://cap.connx.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Matthias Gemuh on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 am

dann corbit wrote:
No way that Big Lion can win. The Winner of the "Mr. Irrelevant" tournament is the last place engine.
At least, that is the way that I see it.
So probably Chad's Chess or Dreamer will come off champion here.

BigLion is finally climbing and will end up in upper half of table Very Happy .

Matthias.

Matthias Gemuh

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-05-21

View user profile http://www.w2410tmq9.homepage.t-online.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Mr. Irrelevant

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum